Connections between St Vincent de Paul and Ireland (part 2)
Let us continue on our virtual pilgrimage through Ireland with St Vincent. Today we find ourselves in Belfast, in Ligoniel, in the parish of St Vincent de Paul
St Vincent de Paul Parish, Ligoniel, Belfast.
Around the year 1850, the villages of Ligoniel and Wolfhill were in St. Patrick’s Parish. The parishioners had to walk from this area into the city centre for Mass, regardless of the weather conditions.
In 1851 the Society of St Vincent de Paul bought a site in Ligoniel, and built a school at the cost of £370. This was a very large sum of money in the 1800’s! Thirteen years later, the Bishop of Down and Connor had this school building converted to a church, and the Parish of Saint Vincent de Paul was born! Full Parish status, was granted to Ligoniel in 1891.
In 1894 Canon McDonnell and Dr Henry, the Bishop of Down and Connor, bought a new site further down the Ligoniel Rd and on this spot arose the present Church, school (now the boxing club) and parochial house. The Church was dedicated on 12th January 1898 by Dr Henry, Bishop of Down and Connor.