Connections between St Vincent de Paul and Ireland (part 3)
Let us continue on our virtual pilgrimage through Ireland with St Vincent. This week let us visit the parish of St Vincent de Paul in Marino, Dublin.
Marino was developed in 1924 when Dublin Corporation decided to build a new suburb in the area of Fairview. The parish church was the initiative of Fr John Flanagan the parish priest of Fairview.
The foundation stone of the Church of St. Vincent de Paul was laid on 2nd May, 1926, and it was consecrated on the 7 October by Dr Edward Byrne, Archbishop of Dublin. It was dedicated to St Vincent de Paul.
In 1942 Marino was established as a Parish in its own right, Canon McArdle being appointed Parish Priest.
The Daughters of Charity taught in the parish primary schools from the foundation of the schools. The sisters lived in the parish from October 1934 until they withdrew from the Parish in October 1978.